Ceremony Day Instructions & Information
LAS/SOCIAL AND EARTH SCIENCES CONVOCATION
Saturday, May 10th, 10:00 a.m.
Smith Memorial Hall
Smith Music Hall
**IMPORTANT** At least minimal familiarity with these instructions is essential to ensure a pleasant and rewarding convocation ceremony.
In general, the following scenario will be followed. More specific instructions will be given during the line-up. Please be prepared to listen and follow instructions.
- Report to the south hallway on the main floor of Smith Music Hall by 9:00 am. Please be prompt so the ceremony can begin on time. Please be dressed in cap and gown when you arrive. [NOTE: We will not have spare caps and gowns on hand.] We will assemble in the west end of the N-S hallway of main level. Departmental representatives will assist in lining you up. Check in with your departmental representative and please be cooperative. He or she will help you find your proper place as quickly as possible. [Those who arrive late stand a chance of not being allowed to participate in the ceremony. This is another reason for arriving on time. NOTE: We know this is an occasion of great excitement and joy, but rowdy behavior and/or drinking will not be tolerated.]
- If you are accompanied by guests, please tell them that they may enter the Memorial Hall at about 9:00 a.m. Special accommodation will be made for handicapped guests. Please alert your department representative ahead of time if such a need exists. Tickets will be required for your guests. Others may enter the Theater only after those with tickets have been seated.
- The Processional into the Memorial Hall will be in two lines using the center aisle and will be led by Guides. Following the first Guide(s) will be the Stage Party (including emcee, faculty, and speakers, and, in alphabetical and departmental order, candidates for Master's and Doctoral Degrees). Candidates for Bachelor's degrees from Anthropology, Atmospheric Sciences, Geography, Geology, and Sociology will sit in the auditorium on the main floor. The Stage Party will have to navigate several steps to reach the stage. Please watch your step. Ushers will be placed at strategic points along this area to assist you. Go slowly. NOTE: Special accommodations will be made for handicapped students. Check with your department representative ahead of time to make us aware of the situation.
- When the Stage Party arrives on stage, a Guide will indicate where you should be sitting. PLEASE DON'T PANIC. Please follow directions.
- There will be live music for the entrance and departure, and interspersed throughout the Ceremony there will be several short speeches.
- Honors students will be recognized separately. Please stand when your name is called and remain standing until all the names have been read and you are asked to be seated.
- Presentation of undergraduate degree recipients. Students in each department will stand as the department is called. A Guide will assist students in reaching the stage. Beginning with Anthropology and ending with Sociology, each department head, center director, or his/her designee, will introduce the department. Then the emcee will announce each graduate's name in that department individually. As your name is called, you will walk across the stage, shake hands with the Department Head or Center Director, proceed to the Dean (or representative) who will shake hands and present you with a diploma cover. You will then return to your seat.
Please be aware that professional photographs will be taken of each student as he/she crosses the stage. If you proceed slowly and look toward the photographer, better photos may be available.
- After all Bachelor's Candidates have been re-seated; Master's Candidates will be introduced for each department by the emcee. Each Candidate will be hooded by a faculty member the student chooses or by the department head. Each candidate will then proceed across the stage, shake hands with the Dean, receive a diploma cover, and return to his/her seat on stage.
- Next, Doctoral Candidates will be introduced by the emcee following the procedure in #8.
- After the singing of the Alma Mater, you will exit in the same order in which you entered (i.e., stage party and Master's /Ph.D. recipients, followed by Bachelor's recipients), by using the opposite aisle. PLEASE FOLLOW THE SAME GUIDE WHO LED YOU IN.
CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR ACHIEVEMENT AND GOOD LUCK IN THE FUTURE!!!