LAS/SOCIAL SCIENCES CONVOCATION
INSTRUCTIONS AND INFORMATION
Saturday, May 16th, 4 p.m.
The Great Hall
Krannert Center for the Performing Arts
LEAVE ALL PERSONAL ITEMS INCLUDING ALL ELECTRONIC
DEVICES AT HOME.
**IMPORTANT** At least minimal familiarity with these instructions is essential to ensure a pleasant and rewarding convocation ceremony.
In general, the following scenario will be followed. More specific instructions will be given during the line-up. Please be prepared to listen and follow instructions.
1. Report to Level Two of the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts at 2:45 p.m. SHARP. Please be prompt so the ceremony can begin on time. Please be dressed in cap and gown when you arrive. We will not have spare caps and gowns on hand.
2. Guests with tickets may enter the Great Hall at about 3:00 p.m. Special accommodation will be made for handicapped guests. Please alert your department representative ahead of time if such a need exists. Guests without tickets may enter the Theater only after those with tickets have been seated.
3. The Processional into the Great Hall will be in four lines using both aisles and will be led by Guides. Special accommodations will be made for handicapped students. Check with your department representative ahead of time to make us aware of the situation.
4. There will be live music for the entrance and departure.
5. Presentation of undergraduate degree recipients. Students in each department will stand as the department is called. A Guide will assist students in reaching the stage. Then the emcee will announce each graduate's name in that department individually. As your name is called, you will walk across the stage, shake hands with the Department Head or Center Director, proceed to the Dean (or representative) who will shake hands and present you with a diploma cover. You will then return to your seat.
6. After all Bachelor's Candidates have been re-seated; Master's Candidates followed by Doctoral Candidates will be introduced for each department by the emcee. Each Candidate will be hooded by a faculty member the student chooses or by the department head. Each candidate will then proceed across the stage, shake hands with the Dean, receive a diploma cover, and return to his/her seat on stage.
Please be aware that professional photographs will be taken of each student as he/she crosses the stage. If you proceed slowly and look toward the photographer, better photos may be available.
7. Honors students will be recognized separately. Please stand when your name is called and remain standing until all the names have been read and you are asked to be seated.
8. After the singing of the Alma Mater, you will exit in the same order in which you entered. PLEASE FOLLOW THE SAME GUIDE WHO LED YOU IN.
CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR ACHIEVEMENT AND GOOD LUCK IN THE FUTURE!!!